Apr 20, 2017
A Driving Under the Influence (DUI) conviction under Florida Statute 316.193 can create many problems for you including a permanent criminal record, driver’s license suspension, hefty fees and fines, extensive probation requirements, and the possibility of jail time. The severity and sentences vary depending on whether it is your first, second, third, etc. DUI conviction and sometimes can depend on which judge you have. A first DUI conviction can be extremely costly and time consuming as well as restricting your ability to drive.
1. $500-$1000 fine plus court costs
2. Up to 6 months in the county jail
3. Ignition Interlock Device if BAL of 0.15 or higher
4. Monthly reporting probation with mandatory conditions including a psychosocial evalution to determine if there is a substance abuse problem and possible follow-up treatment at your expense, 50 hours of community service, and a 10-day immobilization of your vehicle. Different jurisdictions may also require you to attend a Victim Impact Panel or other presentation put on by MADD or similar organizations.
5. 6-month Driver License Suspension
Also, by Florida Statute, you cannot receive a withhold of adjudication on a DUI. Meaning, even if you enter a plea of no contest and have no prior criminal record, the presiding judge must convict you of the charge, and it will be on your record. Insurance companies and those conducting a background check will be able to see the arrest and conviction. Hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney can help you potentially avoid this by thoroughly reviewing your case, the reports and videos, questioning all officers and witnesses involved and negotiating with the Assistant State Attorney. Possible outcomes include the charge being dropped or reduced to a lesser charge such as Reckless Driving. If no agreement can be made, you always have the option of trial in front of a judge or jury.
Contact The Law Office of Tiffany H. Poore at 904-395-2293 for your free consultation. We are ready to help you through this difficult time.